Wednesday, September 5, 2012

"Killed" a Companion 9/03/2012

     There is a lot going on in my head right now.  First of all, Elder Bernards has left and I am spending the next two days with some other elders in my district.  Like I said before, killing a companion is not a particularly enjoyable thing.  I really enjoyed my time serving with him, as I have with all my companions so far.  I don't yet know exactly who my new companion will be until tomorrow morning.  

I'm staying in Moses Lake for another transfer and I am really excited about that.  There are great things happening here and I love that I get to be a part of it.  Johnny, aka Spoon was at church again on Sunday and he is progressing really well.  He has completely believed everything we taught him so far and has told us he wants to be baptized.  He has really unique concerns that I have not seen before.  His concern is that it is so good to be true that he almost expects to get some fine print details in the questions he asks, but when he gets the answer that he wanted to hear, and that makes sense to him, it throws him off.  It's opposite of what I'm used too.  Instead of trying to prove it wrong, he's trying to prove it right, and he wants to make sure that we will teach him everything he needs to know to be a member before he becomes a member, which is exactly what we do as missionaries.  I've decided it might be a unique concept to other people that we will break down the door to teach everyone about the gospel, but the moment they begin to be interested in what we teach and in baptism, we begin to throw up these barriers of sorts to make sure they are prepared and ready to make that decision for themselves.  So anyway, he is doing great and soaking in everything we are teaching him.  

Forest has been making good progress with regards to coming to church as well.  He has attended the last two Sundays in a row and every time he goes to church he has had great answers to questions he's had.  He is a prime example of someone gaining revelation from church attendance.  His major concern still is that if he pays tithing, then he will have to cut off supporting his grandsons, and we have been trying to explain to him using various scriptures and analogies,  that Heavenly Father and Christ would not let his grandsons suffer because he made a choice to follow them, but it is something he will have to figure out for himself.  We have decided last week that we are going to focus less on tithing now, though, and more on the Gospel of Jesus Christ and how exactly the Gospel fits into his life.  I continue to pray that he will gain the faith necessary to put his trust in the Lord and make that final step. 

 The Dominican family we are teaching are doing great.  We left them 2 neph 31 to read as a family and when we went back to follow up, the 11 year old (Alex) had a question about baptism.  His question was asking about the need to be baptized because Christ was also baptized.  The parents were baptized before in the Catholic church, but their children never were, so Alex was pretty excited about the prospect of baptism, so we will be talking about that this week when we meet with them.  Other than that, we have been working with members these past few weeks and teaching them about missionary work and how to be effective member missionaries.  If ever you are in doubt about what to say to nonmember friends, just read D&C(and other scriptures) and find all the promises associated with doing missionary work.  For example D&C 33:7-10, D&C 84:80,85,88, and D&C 100:5-8 are all great scriptures that give us great promises and blessings if we go out and share the gospel with our friends.  We are never alone when sharing the gospel.  Thats about it from me this week.  I hope everybody has a great week.  Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment