Monday, September 24, 2012

FALL IS IN THE AIR - or maybe it's just smoke 9/24/2012


Hello from Moses Lake.  Fall is in the air and things are beginning to cool down quite a bit here.  Part of it may be the fires in Wenatchee that have caused a ton of smoke in the air.  It has been smoggy all week from those fires and it's starting to get a little irritating.  But anyway, we had a great week.  

We found a really cool couple this week while we were tracting.  The wife was out by her car so we started talking to her about the church and she invited us to come back the next day.  We did and her husband was there as well.  They both grew up Catholic, but told us they were open about learning and exploring other religions.  The wife (Janette) in particular has had some great experiences with members of the church in the past, and I guess that sparked her curiosity.  We taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the spirit was way strong.  With a little commitment and member fellowship I really believe that they could both gain a testimony of the church and want to be baptized.

We have been teaching Forest more often now that he is on date for the 13th of October.  I am so proud of him and the decision he's made to make this a priority in his life.  It could be really easy for somebody in his position to make excuses about why they shouldn't, or can't make such a commitment, but he knows it's right and he knows that is what he needs to do and he doesn't let things get in the way of putting the Lord first.  I know that is going to be a wonderful baptism.  

Speaking of baptism, Kylie's baptism was yesterday and it-like all baptisms-was a very spiritual event.  Her nonmember mother and soon-to-be step-dad were both there and you could tell they felt the spirit.  Kylie will be such a good influence in that family and to those she meets.  I really hope that the spiritual feelings at the baptism, as well as the example that Kylie will be, will eventually soften her parents hearts to the Gospel.  They are good people who just need the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost in their lives.  

I don't remember if I talked about it last week or not, but we've started teaching a teenage girl who really wants to be baptized.  It started by her being invited to girls camp and her experience there was so great, she bore her testimony and expressed genuine interest to learn more and become baptized.  That was about 2 months before we began teaching her, but when we did, she really had pure desire to learn and to have answers to questions that only the Gospel can satisfy.  Her mom is apparently okay with her being baptized, but her dad doesn't want her to.  He made her a deal that if she could read the Book of Mormon and the Bible completely through, and then convince him that the church is true and it would be a good idea to get baptized, then he would let her do it.  A statement like that tells me there could be potential for him as well though, because if he could be convinced the church is true by his daughter, then I'm sure he would want to be baptized as well. From what I know of her, if anyone could do it she could.  

There is much work to be done here and I am grateful to be a part of that work.  I feel so thankful that the Lord would trust me with this part of his "vineyard".  I know I'm not a perfect person,  I guess thankfully he doesn't expect us to be perfect, but I try my hardest everyday, and try to improve my abilities everyday, and know that as long as I'm working my hardest that the Lord will make up the rest.  I am able to see improvements in myself everyday, and I'm so thankful for a Savior to help us when we do fall short.  I love the Gospel, and I love being a missionary and teaching people about the Gospel.  I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week.

Elder Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment